Leading the Industry in Advanced Technology Backplanes
Tracewell Systems is a leader in the design and manufacture of advanced technology backplanes for custom OEM applications and standard architectures. Tracewell specializes in design optimization and lower cost through reduced layer count and improved design for manufacture. Our experience, stringent design analysis and quality processes ensure our backplanes meet customer specifications every time.
Spectrum of Boards and Components
We design and build backplanes ranging from basic parallel bussed, to full high-speed serial-mesh designs. Design capabilities include:
- Board designs up to35"
- Layer counts up to 50
- Aspect ratios exceed 16:1
- Multi-impedance designs
- Multi-point and point-to-point high speed differential
- Mixed rigid and flex designs
- Use of advanced PCB substrates for high-speed multi-gigabit applications.
Simulation and Design Characterization
We use a variety of simulation techniques as part of an integrated engineering strategy to provide backplane solutions. Particularly significant in applications involving high-speed signals or unique and untested interconnect schemes, simulation allows us to identify problem areas early in the design, resulting in faster time-to-market.
- Embedded crosstalk and impedance tools for "on the fly" layout verification
- 3D field solving software for model generation of complex PCB traces and connector pins
- SPICE simulation and pre-design reporting
- Advanced simulation and pre-design reporting
- Advanced design rule checks
Elements of Design
Our expertise in transmission methodology, as well as connector and components selection assists the customer in making the best choices early in the design. Our dynamic approach allows us to design better backplanes, faster and more cost effectively. Keys areas for design consideration:
- Impedance - PCB and component effect
- Crosstalk - forward and backward
- Timing - skew and propagation delay
- Power distribution - low noise and high current
Superior Manufacturing and Test
Backplanes are built using state-of-the-art manufacturing including large board wave and reflow soldering, high-speed pick-and-place, automated connector press-fitting and leaded component assembly. To ensure the highest quality, Tracewell performs an in-circuit and functional test, high pin count point-to-point test and automated optical inspection on every assembly. In addition, printed circuit boards are bareboard tested prior to component assembly.
Tracewell offers a number of advanced technology products and capabilities. This includes sophisticated low-profile backplane bridging systems and complex full-mesh serial designs, incorporating the latest in high-speed board materials and differential connector technology. Also included are small form-factor PMC node designs that help eliminate costly, unnecessary board assets.